You didn’t really think that wallpaper was going to go out of fashion, did you? This is one trend that has major staying power, and it’s back with a bang.
You may have noticed that wallpaper is being increasingly used in decoration projects for both commercial and domestic spaces.
In fact, Pinterest has revealed that in 2020 searches for “wallpaper” were up by 41 percent. But, what is it about wallpaper that makes it such an attractive choice? Read on to discover four of the different reasons why wallpaper is making a comeback.
What makes wallpaper the go-to trend at the moment?
So, let’s take a look at the four main reasons why wallpaper is making a comeback:
Wallpaper comes in so many different styles and textures today
There is only one place to begin when it comes to the popularity of wallpaper, and this is with the fact that there are so many different textures and styles for you to select from today.
Examples include natural grasscloth, embossed silk textures, foils, beads, gels, suede, raised inks, glitter, pearl, and much more. This means that the possibilities are endless when it comes to creating a beautiful interior design with the use of wallpaper.
These beautiful prints and intriguing textures can have a big impact on a room, adding style, depth, and warmth that monotone paint simply cannot achieve.
Of course, you don’t have to add the same wall covering to all of the walls. You can play around with different options in this regard, from mixing and matching wallpaper to creating a feature wall.
In fact, you can even use wallpaper to simulate a number of different finishing materials. After all, the concept behind wallpaper was the desire to generate the effect of finishing cloth. Today, wallpaper can imitate virtually anything, from rusted and gold iron to Venetian plaster and marble.
Wallpaper is great at hiding imperfections and it is easy to look after
Not only does wallpaper come in many different colors, patterns, styles, and textures, but it is effective at hiding imperfections as well.
If you live in an older property, cracked walls can be unsightly. However, wallpaper can do a great job of hiding this. The patterns will hide blemishes and smudges, and wallpaper is pretty easy to clean as well. All you need is a little bit of water and a sponge!
You can expect many years of use from your wallpaper
Another benefit is that wallpaper is highly durable. So long as you choose quality wallpaper and you look after it properly, you can expect your wallpaper to last for a long time, retaining its color and ensuring the appearance is left unchanged.
If you do decide that you want to switch things up and introduce some new colors and patterns to the mix, it is easy to do this. You can easily remove wallpaper and add a new design. It won’t cost much nor will it take a lot of your time.
Wallpaper provides a cost-efficient way of giving your home a makeover
Last but not least, another reason why wallpaper is making a big comeback is that it provides you with a cost-effective way of transforming your home.
Over the past 18 months, a lot of people have struggled financially due to the pandemic. We want to give our homes a sleek and stylish new look, yet our budgets are restricted, so we need something that is affordable and impactful. This is exactly what you can expect with wallpaper.
It certainly won’t cost a lot to get your home wallpapered. At the same time, this is an interior design change that can have a massive impact and completely change the look and feel of any room.
How do you choose the best wallpaper for your interior design project?
It does not matter whether you are re-designing a commercial or domestic space, it is important to carefully consider the style of wallpaper you are going to go for. With that being said, let’s take a look at some of the important elements to consider:
The type of wallpaper project
The first thing you need to consider is the type of interior design project. After all, decorating your home living room requires a different approach compared to decorating your business’s client meeting rooms.
As a consequence, you need to think about the sort of room you are designing, what this room will be used for, and your project objectives.
For example, if you’re looking to create a home office space, you will want to think about wallpaper designs that are inspiring, motivational, and enable you to be the most productive version of yourself. You won’t want to choose anything that is too complicated or distracting!
Your choice of color
When choosing a good wallpaper color, we recommend something that fits in with your furniture, flooring, and window treatments. Here are some of the different approaches you may want to consider:
- For an easy and smooth transition, repeat the wall paint color as the main wallpaper color.
- Use the accent color as your chief color in your wallpaper to create contrast and drama.
- Select colors from the color palette of the rest of your decor. Repeat one or more of the colors with your choice of wallpaper.
- You can get the color saturation of bold paint color by choosing a colored wallpaper that has a pattern that is a few values lighter. This approach is something that works incredibly well when trying to create an elegant interior design in a bathroom.
Next, you need to think about what sort of wallpaper style is going to be best for you. It needs to flow with the rest of your space. Here are some examples to give you some ideas and inspiration:
- Contemporary – For more modern decor, consider wallpaper with an abstract or geometric pattern.
- Victorian – For this period style, a baroque floral damask makes a beautiful wallpaper choice.
- Rustic – Consider a textured wallpaper, such as a wildlife pattern to fit in with your theme, plaid for warmth, or grasscloth for depth.
- Country – A country motif, gingham, or plaid pattern may be a great choice for your country decor.
- Casual – There are lots of different ways you can enhance your casual decor with different patterns, such as textured, floral, or plant print.
- Glam – The choices for glam wallpaper include dramatic reflective, glitter embedded, crystal, flocked, or embossed designs.
- Formal – Finally, a formal interior benefits from various types of elegant wallpaper styles, such as damask or hand-painted prints.
Plain or patterned Wallpaper?
This section leads on from the two former points about wallpaper colors and styles. You are not going to be limited to using plain wallpaper, even if your decor already incorporates a number of different styles.
The aim is to choose the right pattern size and colors, for instance:
- A plain wallpaper can provide a nice visual break for decor that is heavily patterned.
- If you choose patterned wallpaper, opt for something with a bigger or smaller pattern than the upholstery or drapery fabric pattern.
- If you have patterned upholstery or draperies, an easy option is to choose textured wallpaper or tone-on-tone patterns.
You also need to think about whether you are going to go for a wallpaper that has small or large patterns. A lot of people believe that you need to choose the same scale patterns as the room, for example, large prints for large rooms, and small patterns for small rooms. However, this is a myth.
You may want to use a small pattern in a big space whereby the room is broken up with in-built furniture, doors, and windows. In this situation, a small pattern can offer excellent visual appeal with hints of pattern and colors, as well as teasing breaks.
Where should you use wallpaper?
There are lots of different ways you can utilize interior wallpaper in your home. You may choose an accent wall or you can apply it to every wall in your room.
Wallpaper can be used for highlighting wall space broken up by built-ins or to break up wall space.
One of the best things about using wallpaper is having the ability to transform a room into a design that has heaps of style and depth. The easiest and most economical approach is to select a solid wall and create a wallpaper accent wall.
Here are some tips on mastering an accent wall:
- If you are looking to add some magic to the wall behind your dining room sideboard, Art Deco geometric wallpaper could be just the design you are looking for.
- Your accent wallpaper can be as dramatic as you want it to be. We love lush tropical leaf patterns, leopard prints, stripes, and fun textures too!
- You can use two different kinds of wallpaper in the same room. For example, you may decide to use a jacquard print wallpaper for three of the walls and then create an accent wall with stripe paper.
- If you are looking to add an accent wall to your bedroom, wallpapering the wall behind the bed helps to create an elegant statement.
Why do you need a professional for wallpaper applications?
A lot of people assume that they are going to be able to wallpaper their home with ease… until they get started! Hiring a professional wallpapering company will save you huge amounts of time. You know that they have provided this service time and time before, so they will be able to quickly and efficiently wallpaper your home.
Plus, professional installers are much more knowledgeable. They know exactly what is required to install wallpaper. After all, depending on the types of walls you have and the current condition of them, you may need assistance with one of the following:
- Priming new drywall
- Removing any texturing
- Repairing cracks
- Filling in holes
- Cleaning the walls
- Deglossing any enamel paint
- Removing old wallpaper
Do you know how to fulfill all of the tasks that we have mentioned above? If not, it is certainly not worth taking the risk. You could end up making your home a lot worse if you try to apply wallpaper without prepping the walls correctly.
However, a professional installer is going to know how to work with different types of wall coverings. Whether you want natural textile wall coverings, embossed wallpaper, or vinyl-coated paper, you can count on a professional wallpaper to get the job done correctly.
Of course, a lot of people believe that they are going to save money by attempting to carry out the installation themselves. This is rarely the case. Installing wallpaper requires a number of different tools, and these tools aren’t cheap!
You may have a few items lying around, like a bucket, step stool, and a tape measure. But do you have all of the tools that you are really going to need to get the job done correctly?
Don’t forget that different tools can be needed depending on the type of wall covering that is being installed.
This is how you can end up saving a lot of money by paying a professional to do it. They will have all of the tools required to wallpaper your home. Plus, you do not have to worry about being charged any extra if a certain type of wallpaper has a special installation process that needs to be followed.
When you take all of this into account, it is not hard to see why professional installation is the cheaper option of the two overall.
Final words on why wallpaper is making a comeback
So there you have it: an insight into some of the different reasons why wallpaper is making a comeback. We hope that this has helped you to get a better understanding of wallpaper and what is making it such a popular choice today!
From the beautiful look that you can create with wallpaper to the ease of maintenance and low price tag, it is not hard to see why wallpaper keeps on coming back in fashion!